George Washington had to borrow money so he could travel to his inauguration.
– Lyndon Johnson died one mile from the house he was born in.
– Grover Cleveland answered the White House phone, personally.
– Calvin Coolidge was sworn into office by his own father.
– It’s Harry S Truman. No period after the S, because it’s not an initial. his parents couldn’t agree on a name and S was as close as they came.
– Alexander Hamilton and his son, Philip, both died on the same spot, and both during duels. Philip went first, 3 years before his father would be killed in that same field by Aaron Burr.
– Theodore Roosevelt was blind in his left eye.
– Warren Harding was the first US president who could drive a car.
– George Washington died the last hour of the last day of the last week of the last month of the last year of the 18th century.
– Theodore Roosevelt was the first president to ride in an automobile, fly on a plane, and go underwater in a submarine.
– Jimmy Carter was the first president born in a hospital.
– JFK was the first president born in the 20th century.
– Thomas Jefferson was once given a 1,235 pound hunk of cheese, giving us the term “the big cheese.”
– President McKinley was shot while shaking hands with spectators.
– Theodore Roosevelt’s wife and mother both died on Feb. 14, 1884.
– Lincoln was shot on Good Friday.
– James Garfield often gave campaign speeches in German.
– George Washington died after being bled by leeches.